Spearville is distant from Dodge City sixteen miles. It was founded by a colony from Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1878, though George Hall and M. Wear came here in June, 1877. Its hotels are the Summit and the United States Center Home. This is quite a business point, and it is considerable of a center for sheep husbandry. In the vicinity are 60,000 head; the flocks ranging in number from 700 to 7,000. This has proved to be a first-class region for sheep rising. H. M. Clark is the Notary Public and Justice of the peace. This place is 283 miles west of the east line of the State. It is 2,478 feet above sea level. The soil hereabouts is a dry upland prairie; the soil is a dark loam, with stiff clay subsoil. This spot was made an experimental point for tree planting by S. T. Kelsey, forester of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Company in 1873 and in 1874. Ailantus planted from seed in the spring of 1874 had attained to the height of six inches, December 1874; from seed planted in the spring of 1873, it had grown from two to three feet. Black walnut from seed planted in the spring of 1874, reached a height of from six to twelve inches; planted in the spring of 1873, it had a height of from one to one and a half feet; black locust from two and one half to three and one half feet.
There is a Methodist Episcopal Church at Spearville, Rev. Mr. Tooker, pastor.
The Spearville Enterprise. – This paper, independent in its politics, was issued May 18, 1878, J. J. Burns, publisher; E. D. Swan, editor. August 24, 1878, Mr. Burns became sole proprietor, and the name was changed to the News. H. P. Myton became a partner in the establishment, September 7, 1878. It has passed out of existence.
Source: Ford County Kansas, Cutlers History of Kansas 1883