MONROE DAVIS HERINGTON, the founder of the city of Herington, Kan., was born in Lenawee County, Michigan, April 23, 1844, and is a son of David Herington. He removed to Iowa when ten years of age, and afterward spent thirteen years in Linn County, Missouri. At the close of the war he removed to Bloomington, Illinois, and in 1869 located on a farm. He afterward became proprietor of four meat-markets, and on selling out came to Kansas with about $16,000, which he invested in land. He was married June 17, 1880, to Mrs. Jane Parker, a widow, who by her first marriage had a daughter, Brucy. Mr. Herington had three children by a former marriage: Diana H., Alice and Monroe Davis.
The Reflector, which is edited and published by C. M. Harger, was established in Abilene in 1883. In May, 1887, a daily edition was added, which has had a continuous and successful existence since. The weekly Reflector was an eight-page, seven-column paper, all home print, and the daily, published every evening except Sunday, was a four-page, six-column sheet with afternoon dispatches. This page provides a brief history of the paper along with access to the various online sources where you can find digital copies of the paper.
Dickinson County was organized, 1859; named for Daniel S. Dickinson, United States senator from New York; county seat, Abilene; area, 851 square miles 544,640 acres; population (1915), 25,339; assessed valuation (1915), $46,182,593; resources and industries agriculture, stock raising brick and pottery clay, and mineral springs. The Western News was the first newspaper published in Dickinson county, Andreas’ statement to the contrary notwithstanding. ((Andreas, A. T., History of the State of Kansas (Chicago, 1883), p. 687, wrote that the Chronicle* published at Abilene was first in the county.)) The Society has a photostatic copy of Volume one, number two, dated January …